Keeping it REAL

Students interact with challenges that address a real-world problem, creating a workable solution and presenting this to an authentic audience.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Stop underestimating our kids

One of the things I've found most frustrating through this project has been the unwillingness of organisations to let students get involved. Everyone is happy to organise someone to come and give a lecture to students or give them factsheets but no one so far has been willing to look at ways they can really get involved and make a difference.

I've called organisations, who then don't call back. I've emailed lots of organisations to receive no reply. Those that do reply have given options such as another organisation to try or the option for them to send a speaker out to the school but no one has helped get students actively involved in making a difference.

Challenge-based learning doesn't only require a change of thinking in the minds of students and educators, it requires a change of thinking for our whole society. There is still this idea that kids are empty vessels to fill up with information and ideas rather than people who can make a real difference, if given the right information and the opportunity to get involved.

I firmly believe our kids can change the world. Us adults just have to get behind them, empower them..... and let them.

2 comments:

  1. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article plus the rest of the
    website is really good.

    My page - Jackson Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy I am so excitdd I found your weblog, I really found you byy
    error, while I was searching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say khdos for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also
    lovethe theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked
    it and also aadded in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
    will be back to reazd a lot more, Please do keep
    up the great jo.

    Feel free tto surf to my blog post ... Daniel Jones

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think of this post or share your experiences in IL.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.