Keeping it REAL

Students interact with challenges that address a real-world problem, creating a workable solution and presenting this to an authentic audience.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Goals: What are they striving for?

Goals are a simple thing but I believe they are a major part of success as a learner, in fact for many areas of achievement. Setting goals gives us something to aim for and a bar to reach for. In the same way, in order for students to be as productive as possible it is important that each student has set themselves a goal to achieve in a lesson. Because of this, I have begun to start lessons by having the Director of each group to negotiate with each member what their individual goals are for the lesson. At the end of the lesson the group is then given time to analyse whether each person has achieved their goals.

By doing this, it seems students have approached their tasks with a renewed focus and have a new sense of pride with what they have achieved in the lesson. Hopefully some of my students will also add their thoughts and comments on what they feel about the new lesson structure and the fact we begin by setting goals.

5 comments:

  1. With goals, I find people's rate of off topicness (I know that's not a word) lowers a big amount. Even then, some people still are off topic but get more work done. So a summary: people having goals (and plans) lets people achieve a better result as they know what they need to (and want to) do in the particular lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think goals are great because it pushes us that extra bit harder to complete what we need to do for the integrated learning lesson. Come to think of it now, last term our group did not set any goals, making us slowly fall behind as we did not have much idea what sort of things we were going to do. This term, my group knows exactly what we need to do, and we strive to get our goals completed. Goals make integrated learning and teamwork alot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think goals are great because it makes you strive to obtain something you want, and if you didn't have goals then we would get distracted and make us fall behind. My group and I are up to date and if the teachers want us to do anything we will finish it before the task is due. Goals make it easier for me and my group.

    Posted by Lucy Nahrung

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think goals are good because it makes us focus on the topic we need
    to focus on and if we don't have goals we will be distracted like what Lucy
    Nahrung said it makes Us a team and I like goals because we can go
    home and have something to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, when i get home and i have not achieved a goal i am grumpy and unhappy but when i have achieved a goal i am bright and happy and enjoy doing my school work. so in life strive for goals and i t will probably make you a happier person!!!!!
    from georgia tunstall 6G (on mr Aylings computer) :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think of this post or share your experiences in IL.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.